To be eligible to recover your R&D expenditure, several criteria must be met:
- You must be a UK Limited company eligible to pay corporation tax
- You need to have undertaken eligible R&D activities
- There must have been time and money spent on these activities
Companies in all sectors are eligible for R&D tax relief, ranging from construction and brewing to jewellery manufacture and printing.
There are two R&D schemes for companies of different sizes; one for Small to Medium Enterprises (the SME scheme) and one for large companies (the Research and Development Expenditure Credit, or RDEC, scheme).
Apogee Associates are experts in both, and will be able to advise on which scheme you fall into. Our bespoke service will ensure your application is processed using a methodology that is tailored to your business.
You’re eligible under the SME scheme if:
- You have fewer than 500 staff
- You turnover less than €100m or have less than €86m total assets on your balance sheet
You qualify under the RDEC scheme if:
- You do not meet the criteria of the SME scheme
- You meet the criteria for the SME scheme but have been in receipt of notifiable state aid or have received any other type of subsidy
There are circumstances where you could qualify under both the SME and RDEC scheme; we will be able to advise you on this during our conversations.